Image Map

Friday, September 27, 2013

Five for Friday Sept. 27th

 I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs for her Five for Friday random things about our week. We were pretty busy this week finishing up learning about pirates and doing some mapping activities.

We enjoyed some Friday fun today in math and used Babbling Abby's Marshmallow math activity to practice what we've been learning about place value. The students really enjoyed this hands-on activity. It was great practice for my little guys counting by both ones and tens. For my older student, he needed more practice with writing number words and this was a perfect way to motivate him.

This week has been all about maps and cardinal directions. After lots of practice labeling a compass rose in our own classroom they've got it down! I love it when things click.


  
This afternoon I broke the student into teams to create their own map of our school. After creating their map, they hid a red X outside and the other teams had to follow the map to find the "treasure". The students were so excited about this activity. It was nice to see them working together on a challenge and having fun. 


Our Fairview Learning rotations are in full swing. The students take home a guided reading book at least once a week to read at home with their parents. I am loving the new kitchen rod that came from IKEA to hold the student's homework bags.

Next week our new PE schedule starts. Scheduling is a nightmare for me since I teach 1st-6th grades. I've learned to be flexible and take things as they come. With new additions came an overhaul of round one of the Fairview rotation schedules. I spent quite a bit of time re-working the afternoon rotations and am keeping my fingers crossed next week runs smoothly and that I haven't made too many errors. At least it's only 7 kids to schedule for rather than 13 like last year.

That just about sums up my week. Next week we start our new book study on Stellaluna and bats. Hello October!


1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad I found you! I complain about my schedule with K-1-2, but 1-6! wow! I like your homework bags, good idea, I'll be back! Paula @educatingchildrenwithdisabilities.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete