Image Map

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Computer Center Ideas

Each afternoon during summer school my students do semi-independent centers. We have two center blocks that are 25 minutes each. In order to keep the students engaged and excited about coming to summer school, I have included our computer center into the rotation.

So what are my students doing on the computers?

Twice a week during our morning math groups in summer school they get to use Front Row on the computers. Front Row is FREE differentiated math instruction for the web and on the iPad. As a teacher, you sign up for an account and you set up your class roster. You can select the math domain you want the students to work in. There are even diagnostic tests and printable worksheets for the domains. It is working well for my Deaf/Hard of Hearing students. Since they cannot hear the audio for the questions, I do have to read some of the questions for my lower readers. But overall, the program is a great addition to supplement our math instruction.

Typing is a huge focus for us. My students need to be 21st century learners, which means being able to feel comfortable on the computers and being able to type. That new SBAC assessment has really increased the need for digital literacy and the ability to actually type.  I like Typing.com.  It's a FREE online typing program that we can use both in our classroom and/or in the computer lab. We try to get in at least 30 minutes of typing practice each week during the regular school year.

I have the student's login information hanging near the computers for the students to use during centers. Then I also have cards with other educational websites the students can visit if it is a free choice day for the computer center. 

Here are some web based sites/games that my students really like:

Math
Language Arts
Educational sites/games
What are some of your favorite educational web based games your students enjoy?

No comments:

Post a Comment