Image Map

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Liebster Award

My sweet IRL friend, fellow scrapbooker, SLP and blogger recently nominated me for the Liebster Award. Christy, over at The Modern SLP, has an adorable blog with lots of great language activities for students. Head over and check out her blog. Thank you for the nomination Christy!



The Liebster Award was created to recognize and/or discover new bloggers and welcome them to the blogosphere. It is meant for new bloggers who have less than 200 bloggers. Today I have 65 followers.

When you accept the Liebster Award, you get to answer 11 questions about yourself.  Here's a little about me:

1. Why did you start blogging?


I started blogging in February 2013. I started my blog in hopes of finding other Teacher of the Deaf/Hard of Hearing out there that were also blogging. Many days I feel really isolated in my job. I know there are plenty of people out there doing the same job as me.... I just haven't found their blogs yet!


2. What is your work experience?

Right after graduating from college I moved back "home" to California and got hired right away as a Teacher of the Deaf/Hard of Hearing in a full-inclusion preschool class. It was a challenging position since my D/HH kiddos needed more than what was being presented in the regular preschool classroom. The following year we moved to a tiny corner in another classroom. Then a position opened up teaching 4th-6th grade and I jumped at having my own SDC classroom. I've been in that same classroom for 15 years now. I wish it was only 4th-6th grade, but now I actually teach in a one room school house for grades 1st-6th. I'm pretty sure I will retire in this classroom. That's how much I love my job.

3. What is your favorite social media outlet?

Sadly, I have neglected this blog this school year. A slow computer and super slow internet kills the little spare time I have. For the same reason, my personal blog has also been neglected. Now I find I am an Instagram girl. I have a personal account that I post on but I should probably add a teacher profile as well.

4. What is your favorite pastime other than blogging?

Free time? What is that?! When I do get some free time I really enjoy scrapbooking. I am a traditional scrapbooker as well as a Project Lifer. I have done the "photo a day" method for the last four years. This year I am doing Project 52 through Project Life. I have a group of friends that I scrapbook with. We get together once a month and try and go for a little retreat twice a year.

5. How many hours per week do you dedicate to TpT? To your blog?

Not enough! I have been avoiding blogging because I feel like I am too far behind and where do I start to catch up? I am just jumping right back in starting now. As for TpT, I spend at least an hour or two each week creating materials. Right now I am working on my summer school super hero unit! So fun!

6. What grade is your favorite to work with? 



I have taught everything from preschool to 6th grade. I really enjoy 1st grade the most. The kids are adorable at that age. They are eager to learn and love school. Learning to read (without phonics) is a challenge at this age. But all those fun craftivities!?! First grade for sure.

7. Who are your favorite bloggers you follow?

On Bloglovin' I follow 95 different blogs. I have found some great Special Education blogs but also follow lots of general education bloggers. There are so many fun blogs out there! Here are a few favorites:

Regular Ed.
Clutter-Free Classroom - Her and I share a love of classroom organization and planning!
Step into 2nd Grade with Mrs. Lemons - Her activities are so fresh and fun!

Special Ed.
Tales of a Carolina Girl - Her post today really hit home to me!
Creating & Teaching - She has great activities and ideas!

8. What post have you written that you are most proud of?
 
This post on Student Progress Notebooks is constantly being repinned on Pinterest. Paperwork, IEP data tracking and keeping work samples is not easy in Special Education. It makes me happy to know that people find my data tracking forms helpful. 

9. Is there any post that you have been planning to do but keep postponing? 

All of them! ha. I am so far behind and have a million ideas swirling around in my head. I have taken pictures of how I organize my center materials for grades K-6 and have started that post several times! Some day it will get done!

10. What is your favorite aspect of blogging?

I love the way blogging brings people together! What did we do before education blogs and Pinterest? I get so many ideas from my fellow educators on blogs. I have "met" lots of other educators from around the US via blogs and even one in real life! Last summer I had the opportunity to meet sweet Alison from Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin' while she was out here in California. She motivated me to get more into creating materials for TpT.

11. What are 11 facts about me? 

1. I am the mom to two little girls, age 7 and 5. They would be the reason I have no spare time! 

 2.  I crave organization and my classroom reflects that.

   3. I also have a thing for black & white and polka-dots.

  4. I got into Deaf Education after volunteering at Camp Hapitok when I was in High School. After 45 years they are close to canceling this summer due to lack of funding. I am really hoping that their crowd funding campaign is successful so they can continue to improve the lives of children with speech/language issues.



  5.  In my next life I would love to be a party planner. I love planning parties for my daughters and our Classified Staff Appreciation week at school!




 6. In my spare time I enjoy traditional scrapbooking. It's one of my only creative outlets and I consider it therapy.

7. My dad, my half sister, half brother and myself all share the same birth date.

8. I've never traveled out of the United States. In fact, when I went to college in IL, that was the first time I had been out of California! Sheltered, huh?

9.  I'm not busy enough at school or at home, so I volunteer as the Website Administrator for the California Educators of the Deaf/Hard of Hearing organization.

10. I pretend to sew. But only Halloween costumes.

11. I'm completely addicted to Diet Pepsi. I'm not a coffee drinker. Give me an iced cold Diet Pepsi and I am a happy camper!

Whew! You made it to the end! Now I would like to nominate Jamie over at Tales of a Carolina Girl for the Liebster Award. She is a fellow Special Education teacher and has a super cute blog with lots of great ideas! Congratulations Jamie!

Here are your 11 questions:
1. Why did you start blogging?
2. What is your work experience?
3. What is your favorite social media outlet?
4. What is your favorite pastime other than blogging?
5. How many hours per week do you dedicate to TpT? To your blog?
6. What grade is your favorite to work with?
7. Who are your favorite bloggers you follow?
8. What post have you written that you are most proud of?
9. Is there any post that you have been planning to do but keep postponing?
10. What is your favorite aspect of blogging?
11. What are 11 facts about me?



 

1 comment:

  1. Great post Kelly!

    I think I should probably get an SLP only insta account too. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete